Clawing to escape the belly of the beast here in Hollywood. To commiserate, email my name assistantatlas at yahoo.

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

The Top Television 2004-2005: Episode 1.22

Since twenty-two is the number of episodes in the average season of television, I figure my 22nd post should be tv-centric. And with the 2004-2005 season wrapping up, what better time to do a run-down of the best shows.

The Top Ten Shows of the 2004-2005 television season, in the opinion of Assistant/Atlas, are:

1) Lost - God bless you, J.J. Abrams, for creating a show where I have no friggin' clue what's going to happen next week and I just can't wait.

2) Desperate Housewives - More soapy fun than washing your dog-- and way less clean-up!

3) Nip/Tuck - Famke Janssen as a man?!? You got me, Ryan Murphy, you got me. And until the fourth season of Alias premiered, the best opening titles on television.

4) The Amazing Race - I actually just started watching this show this year at the behest of my roommate- and I caught myself literally standing up and cheering for the crazy brothers, then the gay couple, now for Uechenna & Joyce.

5) Arrested Development - The only Fox show not currently using a laugh track, and not currently pissing me off [Simpsons excepted, of course].

6) Alias - Despite some lackluster episodes early on, the fourth season is now kicking into gear with crazy double-crossing and general hysterics. Plus, the best opening credits--ever [all bow before Jennifer Garner]. And damn if 'Arvin Clone' isn't the best/creepiest new character on tv.

7) Rescue Me - I can't remember if this would technically be in the 2004-2005 season, but this FX show is good. It's almost Sopranos-good in its depiction of male relationships in an all-male world-- and it's often funnier.

8) Extreme Makeover: Home Edition - Okay, so it's not intellectually challenging, but I haven't cried this much since they cancelled Wonderfalls.

9) Veronica Mars - Got renewed based on critical acclaim, but are there enough critics out there to keep it afloat for a third season? Personally, I promise to watch every week if you add Alyson Hannigan to the cast.

10) Grey's Anatomy - Oh, great. Another doctor show. Except everyone's pretty and is an actual character with readily-apparent foibles and amusing quirks? Why, yes, I will tune in after Desperate Housewives.


Honorable Mentions:
"Joan of Arcadia": Not a show I normally watch, but apparently it got all good and dark in the last few episodes of the season--which means I may be watching next season. And there's a reason Amber Tamblyn was Emmy-nominated.
"Queer Eye for the Straight Guy": Why did people stop watching this? The Fab Five is just as hilarious as ever- and thanks to them, I'm much prettier.
"24": Still more jaw-dropping excitement per hour than most shows manage in a season. This doesn't mean I'll like Chloe, though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home